These are the key ideas that every forensic student has to keep in mind since they seem so obvious but are yet frequently questioned.
How to Secure and Process a Crime Scene?
- Isolate and secure the scene
- Document the scene Search for evidence
- Collect and package evidence, maintaining the chain of custody
- Submit evidence for analysis
- Medical Examiner
- Initial walkthrough
- Plan of action
- In the Crime Scene sketch following should be mentioned: Date, time, location, scale, recovered items, fixed point distances (such as; Wall, door, window), compass, legend
- Choose a Crime Scene Search Method based on size, location, and number of investigators; Grid, Quadrant or zone, spiral, line, or strip
- Photograph from all angles Take wide angles and close-ups, Do not move any evidence, Use a ruler to show the scale
- Photograph the area surrounding the crime scene.
- Individually packed every piece of evidence.
- A record of the possession of evidence should be recorded so It would help to know who has come in contact with it.